As with many towns, Lake Placid has some interesting history. It was previously known as Wicco and then Lake Stearns. It wasn't until 1927 when Melvil Dewey, the creator of the Dewey Decimal System, officially had the name changed to Lake Placid, after Lake Placid, New York. Today, it is known as the Caladium Capital of the World. It is also home to Toby's Clown school. Throughout town, you will find beautiful murals painted which depict the history of this area. Antique shops, the Caladium Arts & Crafts store, clothing stores, restaurants and much more make Lake Placid a great place to live. There's always something to do, such as:
- Mural Tours: Annually. Visit our 46 murals throughout the Historic Downtown. Shop and eat in the village atmosphere.
- Saturday Market: Weekly. At the Journal Plaza. Buy locally grown vegetables, arts, crafts, food items and more.
- Friday Night Movie: 1st and 3rd Fridays. Family entertainment with outdoor movies, popcorn and fellowship at the Journal Plaza.
- Clown Museum & School Daily. Learn the history of clowns and sign up for a class.
- Historical Museum: Selected Days. Visit the local antique train depot and view the rich history of the area.
- Henscratch Farms Vineyard and Winery: Selected Days. Featuring award winning wines, gift shop, get a wine with personalized label, u-pick fruits and festivals.
- County Fair 1ST Full Weekend in February. Arts and Crafts Festival with 200 artists, crafters, organizations, food and entertainment.
- 12 Hours of Sebring March. The internationally famous endurance race features sports cars from well-known manufacturers. Since 1952!
- Independence Day Fireworks July. Annual fireworks can be viewed from land or water.
- Caladium Festival & Car Show July. Celebrating the Caladium Capital of the World, with 1000 acres of Caladium fields. There are arts, crafts, plants, bulbs, tours of the fields, food and entertainment.
- Christmas Parade December. Santa makes his appearance at this classic parade featuring floats, cheerleaders and a variety of official vehicles.
- World Famous Wild Game Dinner: 1st Saturday in December. Enjoy a taste of the wild to benefit local non-profits.
- Chow Down Lake Placid: Last Monday of Every Month. Gourmet Food Trucks and lots of fun invade Stuart Park, 131 E Interlake Blvd. Fun is had by all - young and young at heart.
Below are some web sites with more information about Lake Placid and it's surrounding areas. And if you enjoy gambling, the Seminole Brighton Casino is just a 20 minute drive away. Disney World and other Orlando attractions as well as Busch Gardens in Tampa are all less than a two hour drive.